- The debate will be presided over by Mister or Madam Moderator.
- The Affirmative team (the side in favour) shall sit on the right hand side of the Speaker. The Negative (the side against) shall sit on the left.
- The standard speaking times will be as outlined on the enclosed resolution sheet.
- All remarks must be addressed to the Moderator and the member should address the Moderator in his/her first sentence.
- During their summaries at the end of the debate, neither the 2nd Negative, nor the 1st Affirmative may introduce new arguments.
- No heckling is allowed in cross-examination debating.
- There are no Points of Order or Points of Personal Privilege in this style of debate.
- The Affirmative must define the resolution. Their definition must be accepted unless it is undebatable or unreasonable.
- Debaters should treat each other with respect and judges will penalize debaters guilty of flippancy, discourtesy, or any attempt to belittle another debater.
- The examiner shall control a cross-examination, though a witness has a right to reasonably qualify his/her answers. The examiner should allow the witness a reasonable opportunity to answer a question, but may ask the Speaker to cut the witness short if the latter stalls or answers at unnecessary length.
- The only question that a witness may ask during cross-examination is for a confusing issue to be clarified. He/she may not answer a question by asking a question.
- The examiner should ask fair questions on relevant subjects, but questions need not relate to the speech just delivered by the witness, although they should relate to the question at hand.
- Witnesses must try to answer all questions directly and honestly. They will be penalized for evading questions or giving untruthful answers. Witnesses may not object to answering questions on the grounds that they are irrelevant or unfair.
- During a cross-examination, examiners may only ask questions; they will be penalized accordingly for making speeches or refuting at this time.
1st Affirmative constructive speech - 7 minutes
1st Affirmative cross-examined by 1st Negative - 3 minutes
1st Negative constructive speech -7 minutes
1st Negative cross-examined by 2nd Affirmative -3 minutes
2nd Affirmative constructive speech - 7 minutes
2nd Affirmative cross-examined by 2nd Negative - 3 minutes
2nd Negative constructive speech - 7 minutes
2nd Negative cross-examined by 1st Affirmative - 3 minutes
2nd Negative rebuttal - 3 minutes
1st Affirmative rebuttal - 3 minutes
Note that the video below is downloadable. Also it takes a few seconds to load. Click the play arrow and it will play.